Easter week (23-30 march) we spent skiing in Cervinia, Italy, together with a colleague of mine, Bo, and his family and friends. Bo arranged accommodation and taxi from Milano airport to Cervinia. All we had to do was to buy flight tickets – thanks a lot Bo 🙂
The correct name is Breuil-Cervinia and has together with Valtournenche and Zermatt (Switzerland) over 350 km of slopes. The majestic “Toblerone” mountain Matterhorn (4.478 m), called Il Cervino in Italian, is the focal point from more or less where ever you are. An other focal point is the Plateau Rosa (3.480 m). From here you can start the 22 km slope down to Valtournenche (1.524 m). It should be the longest slope in the world but that include a very short ride in a chair lift.
On the map below it’s only the Italian side of the ski area, “Local” ski pass. We had plenty to do on this side and didn’t try the Swiss side (Zermatt). Get the skirama as PDF
1. The apartments had prime position next to the piste (see it on Google piste view) – really Ski out – Ski in. Fantastic view over the village and Matterhorn.
2. Across the piste was the After ski bar.
3. The first day, Sunday, was very foggy and the visability was at a minimum. First run Mickey turned left at #13 and I didn’t see him and the rest of us turned right at #7. Waited long time at the bottom but no Mickey – NERVOUS!! Guess he didn’t bring the phone since he didn’t answer…
Went up again took #13. – no Mickey – VERY NERVOUS!! Went to the ticket office. They were VERY kind and helpful and tracked Mickey via the ski pass and he checked in at the Plateau Rosa ski lift…I waited… and waited. Mickey had apparently decided to go from the very top station all the way down. WAS I GLAD TO SEE HIM AGAIN !!
4. Cervinia have many very nice slopes. One morning after a night of snowing, #6 was fantastic for carving.
5. Last part of Thursday afternoon was spent on #22. Lots of snow and secluded – FANTASTIC!!
6. Last supper at Hotel Astoria (next to the ticket office and lift station). Our host Angelo served a delicious menu. If you are in the neighbour hood, try the lunch here as well.